Sunday, September 23, 2012

Project 1 Summary


Below I answer the following questions. 

What have I learned throughout this project? 
How does my poster demonstrate good design?
What would I change?
What was the most difficult part of this project?
What have I learned about design?


Throughout this project I have learned many important aspects about the art of design. Especially helpful, was Dieter Rams’ article. Reading Rams’ ten principles greatly helped me choose my well-designed object and what aspects to focus on in my poster. 

Our lecture on color theory was also helpful. Before, with my work, I was never quite sure how to correctly work with color. Now, learning about chroma, value, and hue, I feel I can have a better handle of color usage and create more compelling images.

I believe my poster demonstrates good design with the appropriate use of white space and clear size variation of my hat drawings. I believe my use of minimal design elements also aid in my poster’s message, by limiting any distracting, unneeded drawings. By focusing on the hat’s ability to provide shade to the wearer, my piece mirrors the item’s simplistic nature. 

While I have learned a great deal about correct color usage, I decided to keep my poster devoid of color to emphasize the black and gray aspect of shade. I like the stark contrast between the lights and the darks, feeling this represents the idea of shadows very well. 

When thinking about what I would do differently, I would probably draw my hats a few more times. I didn’t feel like I had adequate time to get them to look exactly the way I wanted. I would try to create a uniform light source to give them a more realistic feel. However I am happy with deciding to use ink instead of pencil, I feel the visibility was greatly increased, along with the feeling of the hat’s protective nature. Another thing I might do differently if I was to complete this project again is to try out adding color. I'm not certain the poster would carry the same message, but it still could be a interesting piece. 

One of the most challenging parts about this project was choosing an object. I went through many different items before I settled on the baseball hat. I’m pretty indecisive, so going forward with a set idea was difficult. Other than that, coming up with the composition wasn't too hard, after playing around with different horizontal and vertical layouts. 

Through past art classes I have been taught about design and how influential a role it has in our everyday lives. With this BDS 101 class I feel like the concept was cemented even more in my brain. I think some of my ideas have changed. I believe I have a more precise understanding of design and how to create successful pieces. I think I have gained a better insight, but still have a great deal of learning to do; along with practicing these basic design concepts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment