Sunday, September 16, 2012

Inspiration: Robert Hardgrave


At first I wasn't really into the whole Pinterest thing, but I am glad that I joined the bandwagon. Through this site I have discovered a great deal of artwork that I really admire. Above is a piece by Robert Hardgrave (Website). I am really attracted to his use of color and complex composition. 

Here is another piece by Hardgrave. This was my first introduction to his work. I immediately gravitated towards it because of the rich royal blue background. I love anything blue, and especially enjoy this interesting painting. When I look at this piece I can't help but see a futuristic cityscape or a jumbled up robot relaxing on a nice bed of grass. 

Overall I admire his fluid style and mix of media. I personally love using handfuls of different mediums in one piece. I get a bit bored sticking with just pen or pencil; I love getting my hands dirty, so I usually like to introduce paints, collage elements, and watercolors into my sketchbooks and art pieces. I never really try to restrict myself to one, though I'm sure there will be plenty of times where one medium will do just fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment