Sunday, September 23, 2012

Inspiration: Fiona Rae & Street Art





Another artist I am really into is contemporary painter, Fiona Rae. Similar to Hardgrave's work, there is a great sense of freedom in Rae's paintings. It seems to me that she paints more intuitively, I think that is extremely fascinating. Sometimes I find I can over think pieces, other times I just doodle senselessly. I think I find more pleasure in the latter. I am also really drawn to her color palette. She usually keeps the piece within a certain color field, and doesn't shy away from using bold hues.





Rae's thick, organic line work reminds me of images I have seen inTristan Manco's Street Sketchbook and Street Sketchbook: Journeys. Manco's books are my number one go to source for inspiration. I love all of the artists featured and really appreciate looking at pages of their personal sketchbooks. 

I think it would be an amazing experience to create a piece of street art. I like the idea of using existing structures, or dilapidated buildings as canvases. I think more cities should welcome street and graffiti artists, there are always little nooks and crannies that could use a bit of sprucing up with a  lively piece of art. Street art has the ability to surprise and generate questions in the viewer. We should appreciate art more in our everyday lives, I think we would be much happier. 


No comments:

Post a Comment