Sunday, September 2, 2012

Project 1 Poster Design


What is Good Design? 

After hearing the critique over our posters in class I think I have decided to change my image. While I like my original drawing, I think it will be beneficial to depict the baseball cap in a different manner, especially for this specific poster. 

I enjoyed hearing what my classmates had to offer about my drawing and what it conveyed to them. I feel the same way when they described the hat as being an "old friend" or a loved, familiar object. It is always nice to have other's opinions, sometimes my artwork needs a fresh pair of eyes. The cap I originally rendered feels reliable and long-lasting, but doesn't necessarily convey what I am trying to say. The loose folds and dips in the hat give off a worn-in, durable vibe. While having an object be long-lasting is one aspect of good design (according to Dieter Rams) I'm stuck when thinking of a way to describe this on my poster.

I think I will try to make some more images that show a hat's ability to shield the wearer from the sun, and show the hat in a more structured, protective nature. I like the concept of shade and the simplicity of the hat's design. Hopefully my future drawings will match more with my concept and successfully show the cap's great design. 

Maybe in the future I can use my first image, because I do like the idea of a hat taking on a sort of friendship with its owner. Sometimes inanimate objects really can offer a great deal of comfort and can take on a life of their own. This assignment really brings to life material objects in our world and showcases their personality to the viewer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment