Sunday, November 18, 2012

Inspiration: Nicholas Stevenson

When I was browsing the Internet I came across the website of illustrator Nicoholas Stevenson (http://www.nicholasstevenson.com/Sketchbooks). Looking through his digital sketchbook pages was pretty fun. 

Yet again what instantly grabbed my attention was his lovely use of blue and the clever way he framed this scene, I love the fact that the wall takes up a majority of the space. He gives the viewer an interesting perspective on the group of gentlemen seated off in the distance. If this painting only occupied the left page I believe it would not carry the same impact. 

I also appreciate his painting style, I love the emotions that his pieces give off, there is nothing strained about his art. Everything has a sense of simplicity and bluntness. What you see is somewhat generalized, the men's faces and sweaters are flat swashes of color and the wallpaper pattern is loose and playful. His focus for this piece is not an accurate rendering of what this situation might look like, but instead conveying a feeling of mood and atmosphere that accompanies a group of old friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment